3rd – 5th Grade Girls
Why It Matters
Studies show that, starting at around age 8, girls begin to lose their innate confidence and carefree nature. Due to the media and social pressures, they often begin to judge themselves and each other harshly. At Girls on the Run, we envision a Vermont where girls discover the joy of physical fitness and learn to celebrate the qualities that make them unique, while also learning to respect and support their peers.
Over a period of 10 weeks, meeting twice a week for an hour and a half, girls in the 3rd through 5th grade participate in an after-school program like no other. Designed to allow every girl to recognize her inner strength, the researched-based Girls on the Run curriculum inspires girls to be the “author” of her own story.
The lessons encourage positive emotional, social, mental and physical development. From self-respect and the power of positive thinking, to taking a stand against bullying and the importance of community involvement, the girls explore and discuss their own beliefs around experiences and challenges they face at this age. They also develop important strategies and skills to help them navigate experiences all throughout life.
We start with helping the girls get a better understanding of who they are and what’s important to them. Then, we look at the importance of teamwork and healthy relationships. And, finally, the girls explore how they can positively connect with and shape the world. Physical activity is woven into our program to inspire an appreciation of fitness and to build habits that lead to a lifetime of positive health. At the end of each season, the girls participate in a celebratory and non-competitive Girls on the Run 5k run/walk. Completing the 5k gives the girls a tangible understanding of the confidence that comes through accomplishment as well as a framework for setting and achieving life goals. Crossing the finish line is a defining moment when the girls realize that even the seemingly impossible IS possible.
How It Works
The Girls on the Run Program:
• is an essential learning program for 3rd- through 5th- grade girls
• has an innovative researched-based curriculum designed exclusively for this age group
• includes running workouts and games that teach important skills such as how to make healthy decisions and resolve conflicts
• prepares the girls for a 5k run/walk event
• challenges and encourages each girl, no matter what her fitness level is
• provides positive peer group experiences and role models for healthy living
• includes a “Grown Up Guide” to encourage parent/guardian involvement via discussions and further engage in the lessons at home
—–> Want to bring the GOTR program to your school or town? CLICK HERE
—–> Interested in becoming a GOTR Coach? CLICK HERE
—–> Ready to sign your daughter up for GOTR? Please check back in Feb 2017 when registration opens!